Join Chef Keoni in his home kitchen as he demonstrates how to make Thai Chicken and Breadfruit Curry.
Ingredients and Instructions (Serves 4):
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Thai curry paste, your favorite brand
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into 1/2"-thick rounds
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 Japanese eggplant, sliced in half longways and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 pound breadfruit , peeled, cored, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 each 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
- Chopped fresh Thai basil and cilantro
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add carrots, onion, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add eggplant, breadfruit, chicken, coconut milk, and 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and breadfruit is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in basil and cilantro to taste.
- Serve with rice, lime wedges
- Breadfruit may be larger than needed. You can take the extra and steam or boil, then freeze for future use.
- Directions are meant as a general guide. Chef Keoni may improvise slightly during class.