Join Chef Keoni in his home kitchen as he demonstrates how to make Texas-Style Chili, a.k.a “Texas Red.”
Ingredients and Instructions (Serves 4):
- 6-8 dried whole New Mexico or California guajillo or pasilla chiles, or a combination of both, or ground chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck, well-trimmed of fat and cut into 3/4-inch cubes, or ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef stock or broth, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons masa harina or ground corn meal
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar, plus more as needed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar, plus more as needed
- Lightly toast the chilis in a dry pan for 3 minutes, turning occasionally. Do not burn. Soak the chilis in warm water for 45 minutes until soft. Remove the stems and seeds from the chilis. Puree until smooth. strain. Stir in the cumin seed, black pepper and a pinch of salt, reserve. If using chili powder, combine chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, reserve.
- Heat the oil in a heavy gauge skillet or pot. Using 2 tablespoons of oil, brown half the beef. Remove, repeat with the second half.
- Using the remaining tablespoon of oil, lightly brown the onion. When the onions are translucent and golden, add the garlic and stir for a minute.
- Add in the reserved pureed chilis or chili powder and stir.
- Add stock and whisk in the masa harina.
- Add back the beef and any juices and bring to a very light simmer.
- Cook for approximately 2 hours, or until the beef is tender and the liquid is reduced to just covering the beef and nicely thickened.
- Stir in the brown sugar and vinegar.
- Adjust seasoning to preference.
- For best results, let sit for at least 1 hour before serving.
Classic Serving Style:
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
For Frito Pie
- Grated Monterey jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced Green onions
- Tortilla Chips
- Grated cheddar or similar mix
- Favorite salsa
- Favorite guacamole
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
Notes: Directions are meant as a general guide. Chef Keoni may improvise slightly during class.