Blackened Ahi Caesar Salad
1⁄2 poundsashimi grade ahi block
1⁄2 cupblackening spice (your favorite brand (ex: Paul Prudhomme brand)
2 tablespoonssoftened butter
1egg yolk (pasteurized)
1anchovy fillet (or 1/2 tablespoon anchovy paste)
1garlic clove (chopped)
1⁄2 teaspoondijon mustard
1pinch of salt
1pinch ground black pepper
1dash of Tabasco sauce
1dash of worcestershire sauce
1⁄2lemon (juice only)
1⁄2 cupolive oil (or 50/50 blend olive oil and extra virgin olive oil)
1small romaine heart (cut into 1 inch pieces)
1⁄2 cupcroutons (homemade or your favorite brand)
1⁄4 cupfreshly grated Parmesan
- Slather the ahi with the softened butter.
- Dredge it in the blackening spice to evenly coat.
- Heat a saute pan to high heat. Cast iron works well.
- When the pan is really hot, lay the ahi into the pan and let it sear. When the spice is blackened, flip. This should take 30 seconds or so per side. Remove and reserve.
- In a large salad bowl, add in the yolk, garlic, dijon mustard, anchovy, salt, pepper, tabasco and worcestershire sauce and lemon. Whisk it to blend.
- While whisking, slowly add in the olive oil in a thin stream. You will see it emulsify into the egg mixture. Continue to slowly add in the oil until it is incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper. You may adjust the consistency with more lemon juice or water.
- Add in the romaine and using a fork and spoon, toss to dress.
- Place the salad on plates or a serving platter.
- Garnish with the croutons and cheese.
- Slice the Ahi and shingle over the salad. Serve.