Curry Roasted Kabocha Soup with Ginger and Coconut Milk
3 poundskabocha squash (washed, quartered and seeds removed)
1small yellow onion (thinly sliced)
1⁄2 tablespoonfresh ginger (peeled and thinly sliced)
2 tablespoonscurry powder
3⁄4 cupscoconut milk (full fat, reserve the rest for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the squash, yellow onion and ginger into a roasting pan. Drizzle generously with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt, black pepper, and curry powder. Roast for 30 minutes until squash is very tender when pierced.
- Remove pan from oven and allow the vegetable to cool slightly. Scoop the squash pulp from the skins and transfer into a blender, along with onions and ginger. Discard skins. Add 2 cups water and blend to smooth. Transfer to a large soup pot.
- Bring soup to a boil, add coconut milk and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Ladle soup into serving dish, garnish with reserved coconut milk, drizzle of olive oil and cracked black pepper.