Ginger Scallion Sauce with Seared Ahi Poke
Ginger Scallion Sauce:
- In a heat proof bowl, combine minced green onion, ginger, cilantro, salt and crushed red chili flakes.
- Add neutral oil to a medium size saucepan. Heat over high heat until oil begins to ripple and smoke.
- Carefully pour hot oil over the aromatic vegetables in the heat proof bowl. Stir lightly until oil and ingredients are well combined.
- Once cooled, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Optional but highly recommended, add sesame oil to sauce for added nuttiness and flavor.
Seared Ahi Poke with Ginger Scallion Sauce:
- Season ahi with salt and black pepper on all sides.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat neutral oil over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Place ahi in hot pan and cook for about 20 seconds on each side or until a golden crust has formed while keeping the inside of the ahi rare.
- Transfer seared ahi to a cutting board and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Cut ahi into ½ inch size poke cubes and place into a mixing bowl.
- Add all ingredients except cilantro into a mixing bowl with seared ahi poke cubes. Mix gently until ingredients are well combined.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!