Grilled Pork Chops with Orange & Maui Onion Marmalade
4pork chops, 1" thick
headerOrange & Maui Onion Marmalade
2 teaspoonsolive oil
3large Maui onions, thinly sliced
1 cuporange juice concentrate
1⁄2 cuplight brown sugar
1 tablespooncider vinegar
1⁄2 teaspoonChinese 5 spice
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except pork chops. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Place pork chops in brine and refrigerate for at least 8 hours (overnight is best).
- Remove pork chops from brine and rinse lightly.
- Preheat the grill.
- Cook for about 10-12 minutes on low to medium heat until done. Low grilling heat is necessary because sugar content in the brine will cause the chops to scorch over high heat.
- Serve with Orange & Maui Onion Marmalade.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large, heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Add the onions and sauté for about 2 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Add the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, cinnamon stick and 5 Spice.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and syrupy, about 45 minutes.
- Season to taste.