Roy's Grilled Ahi with a Mango Smoked Chipotle BBQ Sauce
3 tablespoonsolive oil
1lime zest and juice
2 poundssashimi grade ahi, cut into 4/8 oz. portions
1⁄2 cupsmall onion, diced
1 tablespoongarlic, minced
1⁄2 teaspoonginger, minced
1 tablespoonchili powder
4chipotle chilies in adobo, chopped (you may add more or less depending on how spicy you like your sauce)
2lime, zested and juiced
2 tablespoonsred wine vinegar
3 tablespoonsfish sauce
2 cupsmango, diced
1⁄2 cupgreen onions, chopped
- Combine olive oil, lime zest and juice, cilantro, salt and pepper into a bowl.
- Dip ahi into marinade mixture.
- Grill ahi until desired doneness.
- Serve with Mango Chipotle BBQ Sauce.
- Heat oil in a heavy sauce pot.
- Add diced onions, garlic and ginger.
- Saute until translucent.
- Add cumin and chili powder.
- Add the remaining ingredients and turn down the heat to low.
- Simmer on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove sauce from heat when it thickens.
- Puree BBQ sauce in a blender until smooth and season with salt and pepper.
- Note: To avoid being splashed by the hot sauce, fill blender only half way.