Creole Roasted Turkey
2 1⁄2 tablespoonspaprika
2 tablespoonsgarlic powder
1 tablespoonground black pepper
1 tablespoononion powder
1 tablespooncayenne pepper
1 tablespoondried oregano leaves
1 tablespoondried thyme
1turkey, 10-12 lbs.
2butter, cut into 1/4" slices, softened
1large onion, chopped into 1" pieces
1large bell pepper, chopped into 1" pieces
8pickled peppers, bottled or canned
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Place a large towel on a cutting board.
- Place the turkey directly on top of the cloth.
- This will prevent the turkey from sliding.
- Remove the neck, gizzards and livers from the cavity of the turkey.
- Rinse the turkey under cool water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the entire body of the turkey with the softened butter.
- Generously season the body and cavity with Creole seasoning.
- Place the turkey in a large deep roasting pan.
- Place the onion, bell pepper, garlic and pickled peppers in the cavity of the turkey.
- Place in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours to let the spices marinate into the meat.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Roast the turkey for 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 350°.
- Roast for about 3-3 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear.
- Remove from the pan and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Lift the turkey out of the pan and carve.
- Serve with pan juices and the vegetables as a side.