French Onion Soup featuring Maui Onions
2 1⁄2 poundsMaui or Ewa Sweet Onions
1 teaspoonSalt, plus more to taste
1⁄2 teaspoonfreshly cracked pepper
3 tablespoonsflour (optional)
1⁄2 cupdry white wine
8 cupsbeef broth
2 teaspoonssherry (good quality)
6 slicesbaguette, (toasted)
8 slicesGuyere or Swiss cheese
6 tablespoonsparmesan cheese, (grated)
- Melt the butter in a heavy-gauge pan set over medium-low heat. After the butter foams up and then settles down, add the onions and stir to coat with butter. Cook for 15 minutes on medium to low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in salt, pepper and sugar, and continue to cook the onions for 40 minutes to 1 hour, stirring every few minutes, until the onions are deeply browned.
- Add the flour to the caramelized onions; cook and stir for about 1 minute. Add in the wine and let reduce by half. Add beef broth and bring to a boil, then simmer for at least 1 hour. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add in the sherry. Keep hot.
- Heat the oven on the broiler setting. Divide the hot soup between deep oven-safe bowls. Place the bowls on a baking sheet or in a casserole dish.
- Top each serving with 1 to 2 slices of toasted baguette and lay two slices of cheese over the baguette. Sprinkle Parmesan over the slices of cheese. Broil the soup for 1 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Remove carefully from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.