Join Chef Keoni in his home kitchen as he demonstrates how to make Classic Turkey Dressing and a Li Hing Pineapple Cranberry Sauce.
Ingredients and Instructions (Serves 4):
Li Hing Pineapple Cranberry Sauce
- 1 bag (12oz) fresh cranberries
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, smashed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 pieces star anise
- 3-4 each seedless li hing cherries, chopped or lemon peel
- In a pot, combine 2/3 of the cranberries, pineapple, ginger, juice, sugar, and anise. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- When sauce is slightly thickened, stir in the remaining cranberries and cook for a few minutes. Turn off heat and add seedless li hing cherries, and mix well.
- Remove the ginger and star anise and place in refrigerator to chill.
Classic Turkey Dressing
- 6 bacon slices, diced
- 6 ounces sliced ham, diced
- 1⁄4 pound ground pork or favorite sausage
- 1 onion, diced 1/8 inch
- 2 large celery ribs, diced 1/8 inch
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained, chopped
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning or 3 sprigs of fresh sage
- 8 cups cornbread, diced ½ inch and toasted or bread crumbs or stuffing cubes
- 1⁄4 pound unsalted butter
- 3 cups turkey broth or chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium sauté pan, sweat bacon, ham, and ground pork.
- When cooked through, add in onion and celery. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in parsley, green onions, water chestnuts, and poultry seasoning.
- Combine cooked ingredients (fat and all) with the bread and fold.
- Moisten with butter and broth to taste, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Place in an ovenproof pan and bake for 45 minutes covered.
- For a crisp top, uncover the stuffing for the last 15-20 minutes of baking.
Note: Directions are meant as a general guide. Chef Keoni may improvise slightly during class.