Dress up your cookies to impress trick-o-treaters
- 8 ounces sugar
- 1 pound butter (cool not hard)
- 2 eggs (separated into 5 egg whites and 4 egg yolks)
- 1.5 pounds all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon orange gel food coloring
- 1 cup orange sanding sugar
- 1 teaspoon black gel food coloring
- 1 cup black sanding sugar
- Combine the sugar and butter into a mixing bowl and beat with a paddle on high until smooth and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl using a rubber spatula to make sure all the butter and sugar are incorporated.
- Crack the eggs into a dish.
- Turn the machine onto low and gradually add in the flour alternating with the eggs.
- Mix until the mixture just comes together.
- do not over mix.
- Divide the dough into 3 even parts.
- Wrap one part in plastic and place in the refrigerator.
- Place the second part in the mixing bowl and add in the orange gel food coloring.
- Mix until the color is evenly distributed.
- Add more if you desire a darker shade.
- Remove the orange dough, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- Place the 3rd dough in the mixing bowl and add in the black gel food coloring, wrap and refrigerate.
- Refrigerated dough for about 30 minutes or until the dough is firm.
- Roll out the different color dough to 1/8" thickness using a well floured surface.
- Cut out desired shapes.
- Brush cookie shapes with a light coat of water and dip into orange or black sanding sugar.
- Using a metal spatula transfer the cookies to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a non-stick sheet.
- Bake at 350° for approximately 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place the cookies onto a cooling rack.
- Note: If you plan to decorate cookies with icing, please let cookies cool for 2 hours before decorating.
YOUR OWN NOTES