Roasted Cauliflower Pasta
- 1 small head of cauliflower(cut into small florets)
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 6 tablespoons olive oil(reserve 2 tablespoons for caper and lemon mixture)
- 0.25 teaspoon Salt(additional 1 tablespoon for pasta water)
- 1 pound Italian sausage(Remove casings. Recommendation: Foodland’s house-made Calabrese sausage)
- 0.5 pound pasta(Recommendation: Maika'i Fusilli)
- zest of 1 lemon and juice
- freshly ground pepper(to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Spread the cauliflower florets on a rimmed baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Toss cauliflower with 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons capers, 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Roast, tossing every 10 minutes until nicely browned (about 30 minutes). Remove from oven and set aside.
- Finely chop the remaining 1 tablespoon of capers and place in a small bowl. Add zest of 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon olive oil; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet and add the sausage, breaking it into small pieces and cooking until nicely browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan, leaving the fat behind. Shut off the stove.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add 1 tablespoon salt and ½ pound pasta. Cook until al dente (start checking it at 2 mins shorter than instructions on package). Drain the pasta, reserving one cup of the cooking liquid.
- Add the pasta to the skillet and heat on low. Add the lemon juice and half of the reserved pasta water. Stir until the pasta is well coated, adding more water if needed to make a light sauce. Stir in the chopped caper and lemon zest mixture, then add the cooked sausage and cauliflower to heat through, adding any remaining pasta water if desired.
- Place in a bowl and serve.
- We recommend using a good quality olive oil.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts and flat leaf parsley.