Join Chef Keoni in his home kitchen as he demonstrates how to make Crispy Sushi Rice Cakes with Spicy Ahi.
Ingredients and Instructions:
- 1-1/2 cups cooked medium calrose or short grain sushi rice
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 lb. Ahi, sushi grade, minced
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 dash shoyu
- 1 dash sesame oil
- 1 pinch finely minced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon masago or tobiko
- vegetable oil, as needed
- Combine the rice, vinegar and sugar. Mix well. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, combine the ahi, sriracha, mayonnaise, shoyu, sesame oil, green onion, masago and mix well.
- Take the chilled rice and form little cakes, approximately 1 inch in diameter by 1/2 inch in height.
- Heat a saute pan and add in a thin layer of oil. When the oil is hot and it ripples in the pan, add in a few cakes.
- Pan fry cakes on each side until they are golden brown. Drain them on a paper towel.
- Serve the cakes with the spicy ahi on the side, or make individual servings, taking some ahi, placing it on the cake and garnishing with extra green onion and masago.
Note: Directions are meant as a general guide. Chef Keoni may improvise slightly during class.