Chef Keoni Chang shares this easy to make and flavorful recipe for Basil Pesto!
- 0.25 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic(4 cloves)
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup good olive oil(not extra virgin)
- 0.5 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Place the pine nuts and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 15 seconds. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper.
- With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed. Do this evenly but quickly so the basil doesn’t get warm.
- Add the Parmesan and pulse to incorporate.
- Use immediately. Great addition to pastas, salads, or served simply with sliced local Hamakua tomatoes and mozzarella.
If trying to store, keep basil out of contact with air by laying plastic wrap over the top of the pesto, touching the pesto. You can also pour a thin layer of olive oil over the pesto.
YOUR OWN NOTES