Fresh Asparagus and Wild Mushroom with Sesame and Nicoise Olives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound assorted wild mushrooms, stems removed and cut into quarters (fresh shiitakes, Ali‘i, oysters, portabella, crimini)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, peeled and sliced paper thin
- 1 splash Madeira or dry white wine
- 1 bunch pencil asparagus, cut in 2 inch segments, blanched
- 1 cup nicoise olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil until it begins to smoke.
- Add in the mushrooms and wait 10 seconds before tossing.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in the sliced garlic and deglaze the pan with a splash of the wine.
- Add the asparagus and heat through.
- Add in the olives, sesame seeds, thyme, and season to taste.