- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 0.25 cup tahini paste (you may substitute with unsweetened unsalted peanut butter and a dash of sesame oil)
- 1 can chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans, drained (15 oz. can)
- 1 clove garlic (with green inner germ removed), minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 0.5 teaspoon Salt
- 0.25 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash ground paprika for serving
- Extra virgin olive oil for garnish
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine tahini or peanut buter and lemon juice to warm up and loosen. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl as necessary to keep the product smooth and even.
- Add the chick peas and garlic and puree. Continue to puree and scrape intermittently until the beans are smooth.
- Puree in the olive oil, salt and cumin. Taste for seasoning and adjust consistency with additional olive oil or water.
- Scrape the hummus into a bowl and sprinkle with paprika. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve with pita or crackers.