Local Ma Po Tofu
- 0.25 cup vegetable oil
- 3 dried chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon szechuan peppercors(or togarashi spice)
- 3 teaspoons fresh ginger(minced)
- 3 teaspoons garlic(chopped)
- 0.5 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon Chinese chili bean sauce
- 3 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 teaspoons fermented black beans,(chopped finely)
- 0.75 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package Aloha Tofu, cut into 1-1/2 inch
- 0.5 cup green onions, sliced
- Heat vegetable oil. When hot, add in the dried chili pepper and Szechuan peppercorns and sizzle for 30 seconds. Add in the ginger and garlic and sizzle until fragrant.
- Add the ground pork and cook until pork is broken up and cooked through.
- Add chili bean sauce, sriracha, black beans, chicken stock, soy sauce, sesame oil and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch into a paste. Add mixture to the sauce, stir in and allow to thicken.
- Gently add the tofu and allow it to sit, moving it as little as possible, for a few minutes. Gently stir to incorporate, breaking up pieces slightly so you have a variety of large and small chunks of tofu.
- Garnish with green onions and serve with hot rice.