Local Mango Pie
Local Mango Pie
Mango lovers, rejoice! Cinnamon and ground ginger add a fragrant dimension to mango in this simple pie that truly features this favorite local fruit.
- 1 pre-made pie crusts, 2 pack, refrigerated
- 8 local mangoes, peeled and sliced(6-8 mangoes depending on the size)
- 0.75 cup sugar(you'll need 1/2 cup, plus 1/4 cup)
- 0.125 cup ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons flour, all purpose
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and place a baking sheet in the center of the oven.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon together; set aside.
- Wash mangoes well, then carefully remove skins and seeds. Slice the mangoes into ½ -inch to ¾-inch strips as best you can.
- Toss mango slices, ½ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground ginger, flour, citrus zests and juices, and vanilla in a mixing bowl until well incorporated.
- Mix egg and water together into an egg wash and set aside.
- Press one pie crust into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Arrange the mango strips in a circular pattern at the bottom of the pan, creating a slight mound in the center.
- Pour the remaining juices over the mangoes and carefully cover with the second piece of pie dough.
- Gently smooth down over the fruit. Press the top edge into the bottom edge and pinch with your fingers to seal together.
- Trim off any excess overhang. Brush with egg wash. Poke a hole in the center of the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Sprinkle reserved cinnamon and sugar mix evenly over the top.
- Place pie dish on the baking sheet and bake for about 50 minutes or until the pie turns golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 45 minutes before cutting.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream!
YOUR OWN NOTES