- 8 cups green mango slices
- 0.5 cup rice wine vinegar
- 0.5 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 0.25 cup Hawaiian or kosher salt
- 1 piece small garlic clove, peeled
- 5 peppercorns
- 10 li hing mui
- red food coloring as needed
- Peel & cut green mangoes into slices. If the mango is young and tender, cut through the entire seed and cut into quarters.
- Place mango slices into a mixing bowl. Add li hing mui.
- In a stainless steel or Teflon coated pot, combine vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic and peppercorns and bring to a boil. When sugar and salt are dissolved, remove from heat and cool until it feels hot to touch (not scalding).
- Pour over mangoes. Cover and let cool. Transfer to jars or storage container.