Roy’s Asian Style Cioppino
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 0.5 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups clam juice
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 0.5 cup sake
- 2 lemongrass, crushed
- 1 1 inch piece of ginger, crushed
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 fresh chili pepper (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 0.25 pound fresh clams
- 0.25 pound crab legs or whole crabs
- 0.5 pound large shrimp, peeled
- 10 mussels, divided and in the shell
- 12 whole Thai basil leaves, no stem
- 20 cilantro leaves, no stem
- In a large sauce pot sauté the onion, green onions and garlic in sesame oil.
- Deglaze the onions with sake after translucent.
- Add clam juice, tomatoes, lemongrass, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, chili pepper and fish sauce.
- On medium heat slowly stew all of the ingredients until approximately reduced by one fourth.
- Add in the seafood before it’s ready to serve. First add the clams and crab.
- Cover and wait for 2 minutes then finish with the remaining seafood and cover for 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with fresh Thai basil leaves and fresh cilantro leaves to garnish.
- Serve family style.