Apple & Walnut Upside Down Cake
- Apple Walnut Topping
- 3 Granny Smith apples (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 unsalted butter (4 oz.)
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 0.5 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Cake Batter
- 2 packages Betty Crocker Apple Cinnamon muffin mix (6.5 oz each)
- 0.5 apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 0.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
Apple Walnut Topping
- Peel, core, and cut apples into eighths.
- In either a well-seasoned 10” cast-iron skillet or a 10” non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium low heat until just melted (butter should not separate).
- Stir in sugar until combined.
- Arrange apple pieces in skillet and sprinkle evenly with walnuts.
- Raise the heat to medium.
- Cook mixture, undisturbed, 25 to 35 minutes, or until apples are tender and sugar is a golden caramel.
- Remove from heat and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Make the muffin batter according to manufacturer’s instructions while the Apple Walnut Topping is caramelizing.
- Fold in chopped apple, cinnamon and ginger.
- Spoon batter evenly over topping.
- With a metal spatula, spread butter, being careful not to disturb topping, leaving a ¼” border of topping uncovered.
- Place skillet in a shallow baking pan and bake in middle oven rack for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a tester comes out with crumbs adhering and cake is golden brown.
- Cool cake in skillet on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around edge of skillet and carefully invert cake onto a plate.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature with extra caramel sauce, whipped cream or a sprinkle of powdered sugar.