Shrimp & Vegetable Tempura
- 6 jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined & butterflied
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot, sliced thinly
- 4 broccoli, ends removed
- 4 shitake mushroom
- 4 shiso leaf
- 2 slices eggplant, sliced thinly
- 2 slices sweet potato, sliced thinly (Okinawan sweet potato works well)
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 1 large egg
- 0.75 cup flour
- 0.125 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups Canola oil (or any light vegetable oil)
- In a medium bowl, mix the water and the egg. (Wet ingredients)
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking soda. (Dry ingredients)
- Stir the flour mix into the egg mix. Do not over mix. It should be lightly lumpy.
- Place the batter in the fridge while you prepare the other ingredients. (This allows batter to rest.)
- Prepare items for frying.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. The oil should be hot enough that when you drip batter in it, the drops come to the top immediately. The oil should be 325 degrees when measured with a thermometer.
- Coat your ingredients in the batter. Place the coated ingredients in the hot oil, turning when the bottom side is lightly browned.
- Place the fried ingredients on a paper towel to drain. Serve immediately.
- Allow the oil to come back to temperature before frying more.