Strawberry Cream Cheese Daifuku Mochi
headerCream Cheese Filling
2 tablespoonspowdered sugar
4 ouncescream cheese, softened
1⁄2 teaspoonalmond extract
2 3⁄4 cupswater
1mochiko (16 oz.)
1 teaspoonalmond extract
1⁄2 cupstrawberry preserves
Cream Cheese Filling
- Combine powdered sugar, cream cheese and almond extract. Mix until well blended.
- Refrigerate overnight, or until firm.
- For mochi, bring water to boil in a large saucepan.
- Stir in sugar and blend until dissolved, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Using about ¼ cup mochiko at a time, add to water/sugar mixture.
- Stirring mixture constantly to prevent lumps from forming, add in the rest of the mochiko and extracts. Stir until all mochiko is incorporated and mixture is smooth. Dough will be very thick and sticky.
- Dust a work surface liberally with katakuriko.
- Turn hot mochi onto katakuriko and let cool for a few minutes.
- Dust mochi with more katakuriko and knead until smooth (latex gloves may be worn to protect hands).
- Pull off a small piece (about 2 Tbsp) of mochi dough. Roll into a ball and flatten.
- Place about ½ tsp. each of cream cheese filling and strawberry preserves in the center of the dough, then fold and pinch edges to seal.
- Place sealed edges down on waxed paper and let cool.