Summer Rolls are a refreshing healthy appetizer that taste great all year long!
- Summer Rolls
- 4 ounces bean thread noodles (Mai fun)
- 12 8"-9" rice paper rounds
- 18 cooked medium shrimp (about 10 oz.) peeled, tail removed, deveined, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup English hothouse cucumber, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1 cup carrot, cut into fine strips
- 12 small green lettuce leaves or Manoa lettuce
- 12 flat chives, about 10" stalks
- Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter, creamy
- 0.5 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot chili sauce
- 0.25 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted peanuts
Summer Roll Preparation
- Put noodles in a large bowl. Pour enough hot water over to cover; let stand until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Drain. Transfer to a large bowl of ice water to cool; drain and set aside.
- Fill a pie plate with warm water. Working with 1 rice paper round at a time, dip the round into the water to completely wet it.
- Place it on a damp paper towel and cover it with another damp paper towel. Continue to build layers of paper towel and rounds until you get six done.
- Transfer to a work surface. Take the first round that was moistened and place it on a clean work surface.
- Arrange 3 shrimp halves across center of round. Top with some leaves of each herb, cucumber, and carrot.
- Arrange a small handful of noodles over. Place 1 lettuce leaf over, torn or folded to fit.
- Fold bottom of rice paper over filling, then fold in ends and roll like a burrito into a tight cylinder.
- Just before you start the final roll of the cylinder, place on chive onto the ricepaper roll and then finish the roll. The chive should stick out of the roll by about 1 inch.
- Transfer roll, seam side down, to a platter.
- Repeat to make 11 more rolls.
Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup, stir to combine. If peanut butter is too stiff, warm briefly in the microwave.
- Adjust sugar and water to taste.
- Place in a bowl and garnish with chopped peanuts.
You can make this ahead by 1 hour. Make sure you place a damp towel over the rolls to keep them from drying out.
YOUR OWN NOTES