Get ready to feast your eyes! Chef Keoni combines the delicious flavors of pork, beef, butterfish & sweet potato to make the Ultimate Laulau.
- 10 Ti Leaves (washed and ribs removed)
- 2 packages lu'au (taro) leaves (washed and stems removed, peeled and cut into 2-inch sections)
- 1 pound Boneless beef short ribs or chuck or pork butt (cut into 2 -inch chunks)
- 1 pound Pork Belly (skin removed and cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 pound salted Butterfish (cut into 1 in. chunks)
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes (washed and cut into chunks)
- Hawaiian salt (as needed)
- Divide luau leaves into 5 portions. That is how many leaves will be used per laulau.
- Take 2 ti leaves and place them on a flat surface in an X pattern.
- In one hand, stack 1 portion of luau leaves. In the center of the top leaf, place 1/5 of the beef short ribs or pork butt, pork belly, butterfish and sweet potato in a mound. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of Hawaiian salt.
- Wrap the the lu’au leaves around the meat mixture into a tight bundle.
- Place the bundle in the center of the Ti leaves.
- Wrap the ti leaves around the lu’au leaf bundle.
- Using the stem end of one of the Ti leaves, cinch a knot around the top of the bundle, creating a little wrapped package.
- Finish with the other 4 laulau.
- In a pot large enough to hold the 5 laulau, create a steamer. Place a 1 inch oven proof dish in the bottom, upside down and fill with 1 inch of water.
- Place the laulau on the inverted oven proof dish.
- Bring the water to a boil and then lower to a simmer.
- Steam for 4 hours, checking the water level making sure the pot doesn’t go dry.
- Remove and serve.
YOUR OWN NOTES