Vietnamese Caramel Pork
- 2 pounds Pork butt, boneless, cut into 1' cubes
- 1/2 cup Shallots, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, peeled & grated
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Fish Sauce (Recommend 3 Crabs Fish Sauce Brand)
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 1/2 cup Scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 Red fresno chile, sliced into thin rings (optional)
- Cut the boneless pork butt into 1-inch cubes.
- In a medium sized, heavy bottomed pot brown the pork butt until caramelized on all sides. Work in batches to achieve best results.
- Once the pork has been browned, remove and pour off extra grease from pot.
- Return pot to medium heat, add in shallots and ginger and let this sweat for a few minutes.
- Return pork to the pot and add in sugar and fish sauce. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer for about 40 minutes. Add water if pot becomes too dry.
- Once the pork feels tender, add in scallions. If more heat is desired, add in fresh chiles.
- Garnish with sliced scallions. Serve with a bowl of white rice.