Chicken and Green Onion Turmeric Rice
- 0.5 Chicken Thighs, boneless
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1 Low Sodium Chicken Broth(1 Can (14.5 fl. oz.))
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 ounce vegetable oil
- 0.25 cup water(Add more as needed)
- Wash the basmati rice and soak in water for approximately 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, drain well and keep the rice in a colander or sieve until ready to use.
- On a clean cutting board, prepare the green onions by slicing the green parts thinly and cutting the whites into ½ inch segments. Keep the white and the green parts in separate bowls.
- Dice the chicken thighs into bite sized pieces, about 1”x1”, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pot (3 qt) on a medium flame, heat the oil and begin to lightly sear the chicken pieces in one even layer. Turn the pieces over once and cook until all the pink from the meat is gone. The interior should still be raw and the exterior only lightly colored. Remove the pieces from the pot while reserving the oil.
- Place the pot back on the heat and add the white portion of the onion and lightly saute until fragrant. Be sure to use a wooden spoon to scrape any of the bits of chicken from the bottom of the pot and incorporate it into the onions.
- Once the onions have softened and turned translucent, add the drained soaked rice along with the chicken and turmeric powder. Mix well to evenly distribute all the ingredients.
- Add the chicken broth and water and turn the heat to high. Once the pot comes to a boil, immediately turn the flame to low for a gentle simmer.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid or aluminum foil and continue to simmer until the rice has fully absorbed the water, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in remaining green onion to garnish. Rice should be fluffy, the individual grains should separate easily, and the chicken should be fully cooked.
- Adjust seasoning as desired and serve in bowls and enjoy.