Hearty Kale Panzanella
- 6 cups 1-inch cubed day-old bread (approx. 1 loaf)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 0.25 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup peeled and diced fresh persimmon
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries, rough chopped
- 1 cup finely sliced celery
- 0.25 cup red onion, sliced paper thin
- 3 cups shredded kale
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Splash extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Splash sherry wine or red wine vinegar, to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- Pine nuts, to taste
- Lay the bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in a 350-degree oven to dry out. Bake until the bread is dry and crisp, approximately 20 minutes. Remove and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, herbs, pomegranate, persimmon, cranberries, celery, red onion and kale. Season with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat. Toss with olive oil and vinegar to taste. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer to a platter, grate fresh Parmesan over top and sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve immediately.