Japanese Shoyu Eggplant
2 tablespoonscanola oil
1⁄4 cupgreen onions (thinly sliced)
1 tablespoonwhite sesame seeds (toasted)
- Clean the eggplant and trim off the ends.
- Score the eggplant with fine slits about ¼ inch apart along the length of the eggplant and slice each eggplant into thirds.
- In a frying pan over medium heat fry the eggplants in oil until the skins wilt on all sides.
- Add dashi, shoyu (soy sauce), sugar and mirin then bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and lower heat to simmer. Simmer for 15- 20 minutes.
- Adjust flavors and remove from heat.
- Cool and place in the refrigerator overnight to absorb flavors.
- Before serving, top the eggplants with a few tablespoons of the broth and garnish with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.