Kimchi Fried Rice
- 3 cups White rice, cooked (preferably day-old)
- 1 cup Cabbage kimchi (baechu kimchi)
- 2-3 tablespoons Gochujang
- 1 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 stalks Green onion, chopped
- Maika'i Roasted Seaweed (optional)
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Fried egg (optional)
- Chop the kimchi into small pieces if it’s not already chopped. Make sure to save the kimchi juice.
- Cut the green onions into small slices, separating the white and green parts.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil.
- Add the white part of the green onions and sauté for about 1 minute until they become fragrant.
- Add the chopped kimchi to the skillet and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. This will help to cook off some of the kimchi’s sourness and infuse the flavors into the oil.
- Add rice, kimchi juice, gochujang, and water. Make sure to stir and break up any clumps of rice.
- Stir-fry the rice and kimchi mixture together for about 5-8 minutes until the rice is heated through and begins to get crispy on the edges.
- After removing from heat, immediately drizzle sesame oil.
- Add the green parts of the chopped green onions and gently stir some into the fried rice. This will add a fresh, onion flavor and vibrant colors to the dish.
- Transfer the kimchi fried rice to a serving dish and enjoy your homemade Korean classic!
- Optional: If desired, sprinkle sesame seeds over the kimchi fried rice for added texture and flavor. You can also serve the kimchi fried rice with a fried egg and top it off with Maikaʻi Roasted Seaweed (Chef Tip: Use scissors to cut the roasted seaweed into thin strips).