Potato Kale Soup with Roasted Pork
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 round onion, peeled and sliced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 10 basil, torn
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 4 boiling potatoes (size of a lemon), cut into 1" pieces, skin on
- Sea Salt and fresh cracked black pepper Extra Virgin Olive oil as needed
- 4 slices roasted pork, or 1/2 lb. Chinese roast pork pieces
- Heat an 8 quart pot on medium. Add in the olive oil. Add in the onion and garlic cloves and cook for 4 minutes to soften. Add in the kale and chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer. Cook until the kale leaves are tender, approximately 20 minutes. Take 2 cups of the broth and vegetable mix and blend until smooth in a blender (be careful of the hot liquid). Return the blended soup to the pot and stir.
- Add in the diced potato and cook until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Stir in the basil and green onions. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Drizzle the soup with extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve family style with roasted pork on the side.