Rafute (Braised Okinawan Pork Belly)
- 1.5 pounds of boneless, skin-on pork belly(approximately 1 inch thick)
- 2.5 cups dashi or chicken stock
- 0.5 cup awamori or other sochu(or sake)
- 0.5 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 inch piece of ginger(peeled and thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons shoyu
- Salt(as needed)
- In a wide heavy gauge pot, place the pork belly, a tablespoon of salt and enough cold water to cover the pork by 1 inch. Bring the water to a full boil, skimming and cooking for 1 minute. Discard the liquid, rinse the pork .
- Place the pork back in the pot, after cleaning, and add in the stock, awamori, brown sugar, ginger and shoyu. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Continue to cook until the pork is very tender and the fat is gelatinous.
- Raise the heat to medium and continue to cook, continually braising the pork until the sauce thickens, glazes the pork and is glossy.