A classic Thanksgiving Day turkey recipe. Also, check out our recipe for Turkey Pan Gravy.
- 1 unit turkey (12-14 lbs. gross weight)
- 3 units onions, medium sized, coarsely chopped
- 1 unit carrot, medium sized, coarsely chopped
- 1 unit celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 3 thyme
- 1 unit lemon, cut quarters
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 butter, melted
- Remove turkey and dry inside and out with paper towels.
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position, and heat oven to 450° F.
- Mix the onion, carrot, celery, thyme, lemon, and garlic and place this mixture in body cavity.
- Bring turkey legs together and perform a simple truss.
- Place the turkey on a v rack and place on a roasting pan. Baste with the melted butter.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Open the oven and baste the skin with drippings.
- Turn the oven down to 375˚.
- Return turkey to oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove turkey from oven again, baste; roast for another 15 minutes.
- If you need more color on the turkey at this time, turn the heat back up to 450˚.
- Baste; roast until breast registers about 165° F. and thigh registers 170˚ to 175° F on an instant-read thermometer (30 to 45 minutes).
- Remove turkey from pan and let it rest until ready to carve.
If the color of the turkey gets too dark, place a piece of foil on the turkey to keep it from browning further. Save the pan drippings to make gravy.
YOUR OWN NOTES