Roy’s Hibachi Grilled Oysters
- 3 fresh oysters
- Citrus-Soy Sauce
- 0.5 cup shoyu
- 0.25 cup mirin
- 1 Maui onion, diced
- 0.25 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dashi powder
- 3 lemons (juiced)
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 1 orange (juiced)
- 0.25 teaspoon togarashi or shichimi spice
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 sesame seeds, roasted
- Place shoyu, mirin, onion and vinegar in a blender and pureé until onion is finely chopped.
- Pour into a bowl and stir in dashi, juices and togarashi spice.
- When choosing fresh oysters, make sure the shells are tightly closed. For best results, purchase oysters that will be grilled the same day.
- Preheat grill, hibachi or broiler. If using wood or charcoal let the coals burn down to medium-low heat.
- Place oysters on grill, hibachi or under broiler.
- When oysters pop open, remove from heat and discard the top shell. Cooking time will be about 3-5 minutes, but may vary depending on heat source.
- Discard any oysters that don’t open.
- Spoon Citrus-Soy Sauce over the oysters.
- Garnish with finely chopped green onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.