Southern Five-Spice Fried Chicken
1Whole Chicken Fryer
2 teaspoonsgarlic powder
1⁄2 teaspoonCayenne Pepper
1 1⁄2 teaspoonChinese five-spice powder
3 cupsvegetable oil
- Divide the chicken fryer into 6 pieces (2 breasts, 2 thighs and 2 drumsticks).
- Season with salt and pepper and marinate in the buttermilk for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- In a deep bowl, combine the flour with the spices.
- Place the oil in a deep, heavy gauge pan so that the depth of oil is 1 ½-2 inches and there is 2-3 inches from the top of the oil to the top of the pan.
- Place on medium high heat.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour once to coat, then back into the buttermilk, and a second time in the seasoned flour. All the pieces should be evenly coated.
- Test the oil by dropping a few specks of flour in the pan. If they sizzle nicely, your oil is ready.
- Carefully place the chicken pieces in the oil, leaving at least ½ inch of space between pieces of chicken.
- Let the pieces cook until golden brown, approximately 6 minutes.
- Turn over and repeat for 6 more minutes. The chicken is cooked when the meat, pierced by a fork, has juices that run clear.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.