Wafu Garlic Steak
- 2 tablespoons dashi
- 1 cup mirin
- 1 cup sake
- Wafu Garlic Sauce
- 0.5 cup shoyu
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 0.25 cup shoyu
- 0.25 cup mirin
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, smashed
- 2 shallots, peeled & sliced thinly
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 8 oz. New York Steaks
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup potato starch (katakuriko)
Wafu Garlic Sauce
- Mix sake, mirin, dashi and shoyu in a sauce pan. Heat until just below boiling. Remove from heat.
- Add sesame oil, cilantro and garlic.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Blend sauce and serve hot with steak.
- Combine all marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Place steaks and marinade in a Zip Lock bag. Marinate steaks for one hour, turning every 15 minutes.
- Using a heavy bottomed skillet, heat oil on medium heat.
- Place potato starch in a medium size bowl. Remove steaks from the bag, and drain excess marinade. Dip both sides of steaks into the potato starch to coat well.
- Fry steaks one at a time until the coating gets crispy, 2-3 minutes on each side. Be sure to use medium heat, or the crust will burn before the steaks are done.
- Drain steaks on paper towels.
- Slice and serve with Wafu Garlic Sauce and sautéed shiitake mushroom and onions.