Watercress Miso Pork Soup
1 bunchwatercress (leaves cut into 1"-2" pieces for soup and 1/3 cup minced stems for meatballs)
10medium-large dried whole shiitake mushrooms
1 poundground pork
2 tablespoonshondashi powder (reserved for soup)
2 teaspoonshondashi powder (reserved for pork meatballs)
1⁄4 cupMiso Paste (reserved for soup)
1 tablespoonMiso Paste (reserved for meatballs)
1⁄4 teaspoonBlack Pepper
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add shiitake mushrooms and water to cover mushrooms. Place a wet paper towel on top of the bowl and microwave for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are slightly soft. Trim the stems (leave on if desired) and cut mushrooms into thin slices. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add ground pork, 1 tbsp. miso, 2 tsp. hondashi and ¼ tsp black pepper. Add minced watercress stems and mix to combine. Reserve the tender leafy parts of the watercress for the soup. Set mixture aside to chill in the refrigerator.
- In a medium or large size pot, bring water to a boil. Add 2 tbsp. hondashi and ¼ cup miso and stir until dissolved. Reduce to medium-high heat and add shiitake mushrooms. Continue to cook for 7-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Measure 1 tbsp. of the pork mixture and form into meatballs. Add meatballs to the soup and allow to fully cook, about 3-4 minutes.
- Cut the remaining watercress into 1” – 2” length pieces and add to soup 1-2 minutes before serving. Adding the watercress too early dulls the color and takes away their peppery bite.
- Serve warm with rice or just the soup alone.