Big Wave Golden Ale Fish Tacos
- Chef Mark Noguchi, Co-Founder & Executive Chef of The Pili Group
- 4 cups canola oil(enough to fill 2 inches of a large pot)
- 1 pound Fish(cut into fish-stick-sized strips, recommendation: Mahi Mahi or other local filet works great)
- 1 box tempura mix
- 1 can Kona Big Wave Golden Ale(12 oz)
- 10 taco shells(soft or crunchy)
- 1 bag coleslaw
- garlic salt(to taste)
- spicy miso sauce, or substitute with sriracha
- (Optional) Mix the Spicy Miso Sauce and coleslaw together in advance. Keep chilled until you are ready to serve.
- Season the fish on all sides with garlic salt and set aside.
- Fill a heavy pot with 2 inches of oil and heat to 325F.
- Mix the tempura batter according to the directions on the box, substituting Big Wave Golden Ale for the soda water and set aside.
- Warm the tortillas in a hot pan or oven and wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Coat the fish in the tempura batter and slowly drop each piece one at a time into the hot oil working in batches (4-5 pieces at a time). Fry until crispy, remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
- To assemble, top the warm tortillas with fried fish and coleslaw. Serve with hot sauce and copious amounts of cold beer.
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise, preferably Best Foods
- 4 Tbsp Sriracha
- 3 Tbsp white miso
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients until smooth. Adjust the seasoning to your liking.