Caramel Chocolate Tarts
- 10 pre-baked tart shells
- Caramel Filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 0.5 cup water
- 0.333333 cup + 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- Chocolate Sour Cream Filling
- 4 ounces semi sweet baking chocolate (4 squares)
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (4 squares)
- 1 16 oz. container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using a clean and dry heavy-bottomed sauce pan on high heat bring sugar and water to a boil. Do not stir.
- Allow to reduce and turn golden brown; about 10-15 minutes. Watch closely so sugar does not burn.
- Remove from heat.
- With a heavy spoon slowly stir in cream. Do not place your hand or arm over the pan when adding the cream. The mixture will bubble and create steam that may cause severe burns.
- Transfer caramel from pan to a container, cool and reserve. Do not touch caramel until it is almost cool.
Chocolate Sour Cream Filling
- On medium heat in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, melt chocolate and sour cream, stirring constantly.
- Stir in vanilla and remove from heat.
- Cool completely and reserve.
- Spoon about 2 Tbsp. caramel into each tart shell.
- Top with about 3 Tbsp. Chocolate Sour Cream filling.
- Refrigerate tarts for about four hours to set.
- Top with whipped cream and grated chocolate before serving.