Crispy Roast Pork Belly
- 2.5 pounds skin-on pork belly
- 1.5 tablespoons sherry cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup course sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Chinese hot mustard
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Using a meat tenderizer or sharp metal skewers poke holes into the skin making sure not to pierce too deep into the fat.
- Turn the pork belly skin side down and rub the flesh with sherry cooking wine, keeping the skin dry.
- Mix together five spice powder, salt and white pepper. Then rub the spice mix on the flesh being careful not to get the rub on the skin.
- Place pork in a container skin side up. Pat dry the skin with paper towels and refrigerate uncovered for 12-24hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°f
- Remove pork from fridge and place it onto a large sheet of foil. Fold the sides of the foil up and around the pork, covering the flesh and fat, but leaving the skin exposed.
- Place pork onto a baking tray. Pat dry the skin with paper towels and then brush skin with vinegar.
- Spread the sea salt on the skin edge to edge.
- Roast on the middle rack for 40-60 minutes.
- Remove pork from oven and carefully scrape off the salt crust. Transfer pork to a baking tray.
- Set oven to broil and move the oven rack 10-12” away from heat.
- Place pork back into the oven and broil for 15-25 minutes rotating once half way through the baking time. Cook until skin is golden brown, crispy and puffed.
- Once cooked, let roast sit for 10-15minutes before cutting.
- Serve with hoisin sauce and Chinese hot mustard on the side.