One of Chef Keoni's favorite childhood dishes - Garlic Ahi! A classic local meal for the whole family to enjoy. To add a little bit of heat, drizzle some sriracha!
- 4 Ahi Filet(4-5 ounces each, 3/4 inch thick)
- garlic salt, to taste
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons shoyu
- 2 tablespoons green onion slices
- 0.25 lemon(optional)
- Pat the ahi filet dry with paper towel.
- Season both sides evenly with garlic salt.
- Heat a pan with a ¼ inch layer of vegetable oil to medium high heat.
- Fry the ahi in batches, approximately 2 minutes per side. (if you want your ahi on the rare side, increase the heat, and drop the cooking time by half on each side.)
- Place the Ahi on a plate.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the chopped garlic. Allow the garlic to sizzle for 1 minute.
- Pour the garlic and oil over the ahi.
- Drizzle the ahi with the shoyu and sprinkle over with the green onion slices.
- Optional: Squeeze a lemon on top of the ahi.
YOUR OWN NOTES