Local Style Takuan
- 2 pounds 1 Long Daikon Radish
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 10 unknowns Annatto Seeds or drops of yellow food coloring(Use 10-20 seeds. Number depend on how yellow you want it.)
- 2 teaspoons shoyu
- Peel the daikon and cut in half lengthwise. Cut each half into slices ¼ inch thick.
- Place daikon in a bowl and toss with the salt and allow it to pull out the moisture. Approximately 2 hours.
- In a pot, combine the sugar, water, rice vinegar, sake and annatto seeds. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar completely dissolves and the liquid is a bright yellow color. Remove from heat, remove the annatto seeds and cool.
- After the 2 hours, squeeze the daikon to remove as much moisture as possible and place into a 1 quart jar.
- Pour over the cooled liquid, add in the shoyu, cover and refrigerate.
- Allow to sit for at least 2 days before eating. As they continue to age, the flavor will continue to develop.