Local Ma Po Tofu
1⁄4 cupvegetable oil
3dried chili peppers
1 teaspoonszechuan peppercors (or togarashi spice)
3 teaspoonsfresh ginger (minced)
3 teaspoonsgarlic (chopped)
1⁄2 poundground pork
1 tablespoonChinese chili bean sauce
2 teaspoonsfermented black beans, (chopped finely)
3⁄4 cupschicken broth
1 teaspoonsoy sauce
1 teaspoonsesame oil
1 packageAloha Tofu, cut into 1-1/2 inch
1⁄2 cupgreen onions, sliced
- Heat vegetable oil. When hot, add in the dried chili pepper and Szechuan peppercorns and sizzle for 30 seconds. Add in the ginger and garlic and sizzle until fragrant.
- Add the ground pork and cook until pork is broken up and cooked through.
- Add chili bean sauce, sriracha, black beans, chicken stock, soy sauce, sesame oil and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch into a paste. Add mixture to the sauce, stir in and allow to thicken.
- Gently add the tofu and allow it to sit, moving it as little as possible, for a few minutes. Gently stir to incorporate, breaking up pieces slightly so you have a variety of large and small chunks of tofu.
- Garnish with green onions and serve with hot rice.