Okinawan Sweet Potato Mash
- 3 pounds Okinawan sweet potato
- 1/2 cup Maika'i Flaked Coconut
- 2 cans Maika'i Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon Agave
- 1 piece Lime, halved and squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Maika'i Candied Ginger
- Peel sweet potato and dice into evenly sized cubes. Place the diced sweet potato in a medium sauce pot, add enough water to cover and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until they are fork-tender. Drain, leaving potatoes in pot.
- Add shredded coconut to a small nonstick sauté pan and heat over medium high. Continue to rotate pan over heat to toast coconut evenly, watching carefully that it doesn’t burn, about 1 -2 minutes. Once coconut has turned golden brown remove from pan and set aside.
- Using a potato masher or fork, mash potato until desired texture is achieved. Add coconut milk, agave, half of the lime juice, half of the toasted coconut and salt. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place mashed sweet potatoes into a serving dish and top with the rest of the toasted coconut. Chefs tip: Top with Maika’i candied ginger for added pops of flavor!