Pork Medallions Puerto Rican Style
1Pork Tenderloin (cut into 1 1/2 in. thick medallions)
1⁄8 cupolive oil plus more for searing
2 clovesgarlic (crush)
2 teaspoonsdry oregano
1 dashdistilled white vinegar
headerFor Sofrito Sauce
1⁄2medium onion (cut into large chunks)
6 clovesgarlic (peeled)
1⁄2 bunchcilantro (washed and roughly chopped)
1ripe plum tomatoe (cored and cut into chunks)
1⁄2red bell pepper (cored, seeded and roughly chopped)
1⁄2 cupolive oil
3 tablespoonswhite vinegar or fresh lemon juice
Directions for pork:
- Combine the pork, olive oil, garlic, oregano, vinegar, salt and pepper. Marinate overnight, at minimum 1 hour.
- Remove from the marinade and pat dry.
- Heat a heavy gauge skillet and add in 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil begins to smoke, add in the medallions. Flip them when they are golden brown, approximately 3 minutes. Cook for another 3 minutes. Reserve.
Directions for Sofrito sauce:
- In a food processor, combine the onion, garlic, cilantro, tomato and bell pepper. Pulse until the mixture is evenly chopped and uniform.
- Blend in the olive oil and vinegar. Season to taste with salt.